Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Town!

I love my town. I have lived here for almost 29 years. I would say this is home.

We have the best Court House........................

We also have a great downtown.................... I love our downtown.
Here are some of my favorite places.......................


Cheese and Feed.........................the best camel rider around.....................


Styles Unlimited, where my friend Gloria cuts my hair..... that's all ...... just a cut! I know.....I'm cheap about that!


Some great shops that I frequent...........decked out for Christmas............


..........................and across Main Street.....this is a great new shop in a very old, wonderfully restored theater.



................our friend Sid's Antique store..................................



But here is one of our best treasures.................................


.......our Christmas lights, a long time Moultrie tradition........... I love our lights! We are known for this canopy of lights...


and our turtle pond..( photo is too poor to see. I'll try again later.) .....





and one other treasure that is part of one of my earliest memories.




I was raised in Douglas, but we visited the Atlanta Zoo often enough during my childhood that I knew Willie B, the GORILLA!; I knew my way around the monkey house; and I knew what to expect when the mommie elephants washed their little ones. (They liked to wash you too!) And..........I remembered visiting the elephant grave yard....... but only once. I often wondered about that grave yard and wondered why I only saw it once.





Then, when David and Nancy were getting married, I came to Moultrie for my bridesmaid's dress.............. and.......................... passing a little church......................................







I SAW IT! ................Do you see it the cemetery?.......




The elephant! ......................A six foot tall elephant. The one from my memory!

It is over the grave of a circus owner who died in 1950..........


....... Daddy had brought us to see the landmark when I was a very young girl and lived in Barney.

Now I pass this elephant almost every day. Many days several times. We live in the same town. We love our town!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

June, I don't mean to be a smart aleck (sp?) but Willie B was a Silver Back Gorilla. I could hardly focus on the rest of your blog for being distracted by that error!!

Great Blog. I love our town, too!!

Our Home said...

Beautiful pictures-like I said-The Chamber may pick this up and want to use it!