Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Southern Wedding on a Saturday Morning

Our family friends' daughter and her long time sweetheart were married earlier today . I left home at 6:45 this morning to travel to middle Georgia for the late morning ceremony. Arriving on this overcast morning in plenty of time to go with my family to the quaint country waterside location. Yes it sprinkled a bit as we arrived but it cleared in plenty of time for us to find our seats in the very picturesque setting. The chairs were set up in a clearing between groups of large flowering trees where the blossoms had fallen and carpeted the ground. So, my little niece decided to be a flower girl. She enjoyed picking up the blossoms and tossing them back to the ground.

The groom walked to the front along with his father who served as his best man and the ring bearer- the groom's well behaved black lab. The bride was beautiful in a simple cut strapless A-line wedding gown made more eloquent by the beautiful fabric. I'm not sure if it was beaded or what exactly, but it was very pretty.

During the final song a soft misting rain began. One umbrella popped open and almost instantaneously every person was covered by an umbrella resulting in a rainbow of color across the congregation. I'm very sorry that I did not have my camera to capture this sight. The umbrellas were actually quite pretty and it was interesting to be in a large group but in your own little world while listening to the song and watching the couple beaming at one another with no apparent thought to the gentle sprinkling. As the song ended so did the rain.

The reception was a traditional southern picnic with fried chicken, pulled pork, chicken salad, and potato salad. As well as mini tarts with lemon, chocolate and pecan fillings. And Mexican wedding cookies. And two of my favorites : spinach dip with corn chips and cheese spread with strawberry jam served with Ritz crackers, of course. Oh, I almost forgot the tomato and cucumber sandwiches. Each layer of the bride's cake was a different flavor which made it very difficult for some of us to choose, but my nephew was such a gentleman and great host for our table that he choose hummingbird for me. It was possibly the best wedding cake I have ever eaten. (Thanks Wes! You were a great host. As was your dad.)

Congrats Jessica and Caleb! Thanks Andrea and Tim for your hospitality. Beautiful ( and tasty) wedding celebration.

4 comments:

mcdaniellaurie said...

Sounds like an ideal southern wedding. I am sad that I could not attend, but after reading this I feel like I was there. I hope to see some pictures from Sandersville soon!

Unknown said...

It meant so much for my south Georgia family to be there as Jessica and Caleb said their vows. I thought the wedding was beautiful; even the mother of the bride felt fancy! We hope it won't take long for the pictures to post. We can't wait.

Still Waters. said...

Andrea,
Let us know when the pictures are up.

cae said...

Laurie, i agree with you. I feel like I was there. It made me want to get married again! To the same great guy, of course!!!!