Monday, November 10, 2008

An Autumn Frock

This week I wandered across the wooded areas of our property with my cutting basket and shears gathering some of the fall colors that have finally painted the Deep South. My basket was filled with brilliant red, gold, and orange leaves, bright purple berries, and glowing ginger colored persimmons ... and.... I felt.... very Jane Austen-ish.

I believe I will make myself a long empire waist dress for walking, instead of my yoga pants, with a lovely ribbon to tie around the waist in the very best Elizabeth Bennett fashion. And perhaps ( since I have finally learned how) I'll embroidery a nice A on the front.... No! No! Wait!...... That's an entirely different sort of story...... No embroidery or appliques on this dress!... I'll add a sweet little bonnet with ribbons that I will change every season to refresh my wardrobe and to satisfy my desire for something new. I'll wear my dress with black lace up boots instead of my Crocs and My Dear Mr. Darcy, I mean Allen, will not even mind if the hem of my dress is soiled after my morning stroll. I may even buy a book of sonnets to keep in my pocket to read as I walk along the lane. Then, at last, I will surely live the genteel life for which I long... Sigh....

BUT, in order not to disturb the lines of my empire dress, I think perhaps instead of a pocket in the dress, a little draw string bag to wear on my wrist. I'll make it using a dusting powder box as the base as my Grandmother did so it will always give a faint scent of fresh powder. Do they still sell dusting powders? If so, does it still come in the cardboard cylindrical box or will I have to use a plastic oyster container? Thoroughly rinsed, of course!

What is your favorite Jane Austen quote? You know what mine is? "What are you speaking of over there? I simply must have my part of this conversation!" Or something like that. I need to read the book again..... Is anyone out there?

5 comments:

Leslie said...

"I must throw a party for her. Otherwise everyone will feel at once how much I dislike her." -Emma

By the way I think that it would be simply delightful for you to have such a lovely outfit for gathering flowers and enjoying a walk among your land... very genteel indeed.

jason said...

Is it possible for a blog to make one nauseous? Perhaps I shall indulge in some smelling salts and retire to our genteel boudoir for the evening...

Still Waters. said...

Sorry Jason. I'll try to have some deeper thoughts this week. Or maybe I can stretch almost hitting a huge deer on my way home from work tonight into a tale worthy of reading. I had to slam on breaks and barely missed sliding into a pond and would have except for the cattails that held me back. I am pretty sure I turned three complete 360's before I stopped. Then the car behind me slide into a ditch in order to miss plowing into me from behind. It was the largest deer ever sighted in this county. Or something like that.

mcdaniellaurie said...

What a delightful post. It obviously brought up strong, yet different emotions from all of us. Please do post pictures of your walking dress.

I was going to quote the same lines that my lovely sister Leslie posted, but I quite enjoyed your quote too.

Leslie said...

Darling La. You are too kind.
Your adoring sister,
Leslie