Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Shopping With Babies

I don't know how it happened. I don't recall how it all began. I don't remember who first said, "Why don't we........" I just know that about 2:30 today we were suddenly on our way to Valdosta for a much needed, but perhaps questionable, shopping trip. By we, I mean a cautious nursing mother of a three week old who was obviously desperate to do a little Christmas shopping, the three week old, his two year old brother, and me, the mother's helper who had been trying to schedule a shopping trip for just a few items not available on-line or in town. This probably sounds like a disaster in the making but it turned out to be an easy, wonderful, productive shopping trip.
Leslie and I each had a very specific list. Store then item (or two at the most) ............ Books-a-million: 2 books for Bennett's book exchange, etc. We popped into eleven businesses in about three hours and were home in time for dinner from our last stop. And we were able to find all but one item from our lists.
I hopped out and ran into the first two stores and was out in a couple of minutes, no luck. But after this initial disappointment we were VERY successful. At Target, Leslie and Bennett shopped while I stayed in the vehicle with Brooks. He slept and I watched a movie. But they were actually back before Audrey even started on her Roman Holiday. Leslie dropped me at the next stop then went for gas. She returned just as I walked out of the store. Brooks was still asleep and Bennett was happily watching a movie. Then I left Leslie at Books-a- million and drove thru for juice and waters, returned for her and then drove to a shopping center where I could check off two stops while Leslie fed Brooks. When I returned, Bennett had not taken a nap but was getting tired. He had been so good, was still watching his movie and twisting his hair as he does when he is tired. While we waited for Brooks to eat Bennett said." Juju, I need you. I'm crying! Will you PLEASE find me a passy!" He was NOT crying, but I guess he planned to cry as soon as the movie was at a place where it did not require his undivided attention. Of course I happily helped.
By now the Tahoe was almost full, but we persevered. We drove thru to pick up a gift card and caffeine and on to the next stop where Leslie and Bennett did some quick shopping while I held and soothed Brooks. Soon, Brooks was back asleep and Bennett was happy with a snack and movie and we were on to the next stop. While Leslie picked up something for Laurie, I moved gifts from the very back seat and filled the front passenger seat then climbed over the seven foot Alpine tree and assorted boxes to sit in a back seat be closer to Brooks.............. just in case. At the last stop we quickly picked up supper that we had called in, nestled it into the last available space, hit Interstate 75, and headed home. Both boys napped and did not need my assistance. It was a nice trip home.
It was a whirlwind trip. The boys were great. We finished most of our lists. No planning.............. so, no time to second guess the sanity of shopping with two little ones.
Suddenly ............ We're ready. Christmas can come now.

Let every heart prepare Him room.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

what a fun trip...it was exhilarating!!

Andrea said...

JuJu...we've missed you! Brooks has grown so much (pictures from Carrie's). Power shopping...Tim's favorite way to shop or as I put it - buying not shopping.

cae said...

Just reading the blog wore me out. I must take a knap now!!!

cae said...

Oops, I meant "nap".