Tuesday, September 9, 2008

School StartedToday and I Didn't Go. posted 8/11/08

School started today and for the first time in thirty years I didn’t go. Oh, the guilt! I must walk twice today in the heat as a penance for not going to school. Oh the guilt!

But, oh, the guilty pleasures of being out in the world when everyone else is in school. The world does keep going when school starts. People shop, eat out, buy gas…. who knew? On Interstate 75 today only one person passed me as I drove just above the speed limit. The world keeps going but it seems today everyone on the outside had a slower pace. Maybe they were sighing with some relief that order had been restored. The first day of school… filled with endless possibilities and great expectations.

Anyway, while I was AWOL today, I talked with a cute little girl who was working in Talbot’s (I think she was too young to go to school). She had a tiny little nose ring- a diamond stud. In the past I would have judged her harshly over that, but I recently read in Ezkiel where God expresses His love for Jerusalem by describing how He rescued her from the side of the road where she had been left to die after her unwanted birth. It goes on to describe how He clothed her with fine clothing, gold and silver jewelry, and placed a jewel in her nose, earrings in her ears, and a beautiful crown on her head. Do you think God is trying to take the pleasure out of my judging?

Love you,

No comments: